Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Visit with Marilyn

I haven’t told anyone this, except my husband. A couple of months ago, I dreamed of Marilyn Potts. I was sitting at a luncheon table when she walked in and sat next to me. Someone was speaking at the podium, so she remained quiet. But there she was: tall, happy and kind.

I’ve never been one to take much stock in the meaning of dreams. I don’t even own a dream interpretation book. Still, this one struck me. In the dream, I kept looking around for someone else to notice that a ghost was at my table. But everyone nearby was new to our group and hadn’t known Marilyn. They weren’t aware of the legacy that follows her.

It’s fitting really. The whole reason we started the Marilyn Potts Endowment Fund after her death was to support young people as they transition from college to the professional world of public relations. It was something Marilyn did herself.

The reason I am bringing this up now is that our Del Oro Awards banquet is next week. There will be many things to celebrate, like our individual winners – Kelly G. Morris, APR, Kami Watson Huyse, APR, Adriana R. Garcia and Randy Escamilla – along with the great PR work of our campaigns and tactics winners. But we also will be raising funds for the Marilyn Potts Endowment Fund. We need to raise a few thousand more dollars in order to be able to start dispersing funds. And there is a class of seniors who could use our support right away.

So I hope that if you attend the banquet, you will either make a hefty donation or bid on several silent auction items. In fact, if you lose something you bid on, I hope you will write the check anyway. If you can’t be there, you can still make a donation.

How natural it will be someday, to see many more new and young faces at PR events unknowingly surrounding Marilyn’s spirit and fulfilling her dreams for them.

2 comments:

Miguel Guhlin (@mGuhlin) said...

Christie, howdy! Fellow SA denizen, and edu-blogger, Miguel Guhlin here. I'm looking for a different way to get the word out regarding the mega-education technology conference (NECC 2008) taking place in June.

Any chance you PR experts can help out? My regards to Kami, who clued me in to you folks!

Here's the info:
http://tinyurl.com/57xr9w

With appreciation,

Miguel Guhlin
Around the Corner-MGuhlin.net
http://mguhlin.net

Christie Goodman, APR said...

I'm happy to help spread the word. I'm having trouble finding the details though through the link you posted. I'll try to contact you directly.
Christie