Friday, November 10, 2006

Lots of Answers to My SMR Questions

Early this week I shared questions I faced when I was setting up my first social media release. There is a lot of activity currently to create standards for this new form of news release and to help public relations professionals understand how to use them. I posted my questions hoping to inform these conversations.

And wow, I have had many people provide answers and offer assistance. I’m actually overwhelmed at your generosity! I am going to sort through all of the suggestions and try them out in a real-work situation and will share how that goes in the coming days. In the meantime, I want to share with you the wonderful responses and resources that have been offered.

In “Basic Answers to Some Basic Questions re: Social Media News Releases,” Todd Defren gave very useful answers to each question.

Shannon Whitley suggested using PRX Builder (developed by Todd Defren) to create Digg and del.icio.us buttons without worrying about the coding.

Brian Solis also pointed me to his brief guide on “How to Write Social Media Press Releases” (which had actually been very useful to me when I was putting mine together).

Bruce Prochnau, Kelvin Jones and David provided very detailed suggestions on the New Media Release Google Group. If you are interested in learning more about the social media release I highly suggest you join this group.

The biggest news in this area is the release of the requirements (or elements) of a social media release developed by a representative working group of professionals. The requirements are on the new blog on the subject.

1 comment:

Christie Goodman, APR said...

Todd, Thanks for the correction. And I'm so sorry Shannon for getting that wrong. I will give you full credit in my future links to the PRX Builder (which I'm sure will be many). I already did in our chapter's eNewsletter that went out yesterday.